Dumbbell Flyes / Fly
Dumbbell Flyes develops the mass and strength of the pectoral muscles. Dumbbell flyes are an isolation exercise. This means only one muscle is working: the chest (unlike bench press where the shoulder and triceps are also assisting you). Dumbbell flyes give you a better stretch than any other exercise and this stretch can actually grow the muscle itself even quicker.
Also Known As: Chest Fly or Flat bench Chest / Dumbbell flyes
Other Muscle(s): Shoulders (Deltoid, Anterior), Biceps (Biceps Brachii, Short Head)
Instructions for doing Dumbbell Flyes
- Grab a set of dumbbells and sit on the end of a flat bench with the dumbbells resting on your thighs.
- The palms of your hand will be facing each other.
- Lay back on the bench and extend your arms out, holding the dumbbells above your body with a neutral grip (palms facing each other). The dumbbells should not be touching.
- Lock your back on bench (don’t allow the rear deltoids to come off the bench)
- Bend your arms slightly (to prevent stress at the biceps tendon). This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells out to your sides in a semi-circle and breath in.
- Once the dumbbells cross the chest level, squeeze the chest muscles.
- Return your arms back to the starting position as you squeeze your chest muscles and breathe out. Tip: While returning back use the same path of motion (semi circle) as you did on the way down.
- Without letting the dumbbells touch hold the dumbbells for a second at the contracted position and then slowly lower them again.
- And repeat the movement for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
If you are new at Dumbbell flyes, we advise that you use a helper/spotter. If no helper/spotter is available, then be use weight with which you are comfortable.
- You may want to use a palms facing forward version for different stimulation.
- Other variation can be done as per your strength, fitness level or body requirement
- Sets: 4
- Reps: 12, 12, 10, 10
Stay safe… Stay fit… Good Luck…
865 total views, 4 views today